- June 5 & 6, 2018 - Board of Scientific Counselors, National Center for Environmental Health/Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (BSC, NCEH/ ATSDR) | Meeting Notice
- June 27, 2018 - Pease RAB meeting on Pease, 6:30-8:30pm, NH DES Office on Pease
- May 10, 2018 - ATSDR Pease CAP meeting on Pease, 6-9pm, NH DES Office on Pease | Flyer
- May 22 & 23, 2018 - EPA Hosts a National Leadership PFAS Summit in Washington DC
- April 5, 2018 - Members from the Pease RAB & Pease CAP meet with Assistant Secretary of the Air Force John Henderson and US Senator Jeanne Shaheen to discuss the contamination remediation efforts at Pease and the PFAS health study funded by DoD | Article
- April 13, 2018 - 25 US Senators send a letter to the EPA requesting "they "expeditiously declare an MCL for all PFAS" | Letter
- April 16, 2018 - Andrea Amico & Lindsey Carmichael speak at a public hearing at the Portsmouth City Council advocating that the city appropriate funds to filter Portsmouth schools (drinking & cooking) water | Video
- April 24, 2018 - US Senator Jeanne Shaheen questions the Secretary of the Air Force about the PFAS study | Article | Video
- March 5, 2018 - Deputy Director of DPW, Brian Goetz, presents update to Portsmouth City Council | Video | Slides
- March 6, 2018 - NH Governor Chris Sununu sends letter to ATSDR advocating Pease be in the national health study | Letter
- March 13, 2018 - PFASs/Teflon Documents from Sharon Lerner (The Intercept) | Documents
- March 14, 2018 - US Air Force Pease RAB meeting at GBCC at 6:30 pm | Flyer | Agenda
- March 19, 2018 - TFP participate in a round table discussion with the Portsmouth City Council on filtering water at Portsmouth public schools and non target analysis | TFP Slides | Video | City Slides
- March 20, 2018 - NBC 10 Boston News Coverage | Some in Portsmouth, NH Raise Concerns About Drinking Water
- March 21, 2018 - US Senator Jeanne Shaheen is successful in getting $7 million dollars appropriated for a mult site health study on PFASs | Press Release
- March 22, 2018 - Andrea Amico participates in WSCA radio discussion on World Water Day | Radio Interview
- February 20, 2018 - 3M settles groundwater lawsuit for $850 million | Article
- February 20, 2018 - News Center Maine (Portland): Kids Drinking Toxic Water? These Moms Have Had Enough | News Segment
- Janaury 11, 2018 - In person ATSDR CAP meeting on Pease | Flyer | Agenda | Video
- January 18, 2018 - NH Congressional Delegation writes a letter to ATSDR & DoD advocating Pease being in health studies | Letter | Article
- January 18, 2018- US Senator Jeanne Shaheen questions Air Force official candidate, Colonel Henderson, on PFC health study (time stamp 1:01:15) | Video
- December 1, 2017 -TFP members presenting the Pease community story at the Root Skills Conference in Manchester, NH | Root Skills Conference
- December 12, 2017 - NDAA signed into law by President Trump today | Article
- December 15, 2017 - Updated NHANES data released on pediatric PFAS levels | Article
- December 20, 2017 - Air Force recruits additional community members for the Pease RAB | Application
- December 22, 2017 - EPA responds to City of Portsmouth Mayor Blalock's letter requesting additional testing at Pease | Letter
- November 7, 2017 - City of Portsmouth releases two updates on Pease | Portsmouth Water System PFC Sampling Update | Pease Tradeport Water Supply Update
- November 8, 2017 - TFP will be presenting on a national PFAS webinar/call titled: The Social and Scientific Discovery of a Class of Emerging Contaminants: Per- and Polyfluorinated Chemicals |Podcast & Slides
- November 8, 2017 - Senator Shaheen announces her final Senate- and House-negotiated defense authorization bill that includes her bipartisan amendment to pay for the first-ever study on the health effects of PFC exposure in drinking water | Article
- November 9, 2017 - Members from TFP meet with Portsmouth city officials to discuss PFAS levels in the city supplied drinking water and to discuss additional PFAS water sampling opportunities at Pease.
- November 13, 2017 - ATSDR releases the final version of the Pease Feasibility Assessment
- November 14, 2017 - NDAA passes the House | Amendment pertaining to National PFAS Health Study
- November 14, 2017 - Proposal for coordinated health research in PFAS-contaminated communities in the United States published in Environmental Health | Scientists Letter
- November 14, 2017 - NH State Rep Mindi Messmer announces run for Congress | NHPR Article
- November 16, 2017 - NDAA passes the Senate | Amendment pertaining to National PFAS Health Study
- November 22, 2017 - The Intell publishes an article titled: Records: Military knew of firefighting foam hazards in 1995
- November 29. 2017 - City of Portsmouth Mayor, Jack Blalock, writes letter to EPA asking for technical assistance testing in testing for additional PFASs in Pease water (beyond the 23 PFASs currently being tested for) | Letter
- October 24, 2017 - Air Force RAB meeting on Pease | Agenda | Slides | Summary
- October 9, 2017 - TFP members send email to City of Portsmouth Officials, Mayor, and City Council requesting an in person meeting to discuss Portsmouth water supply
- September 1, 2017 - TFP launches national letter writing campaign to federal officials requesting National PFC/PFAS Health Study support campaign launches | Letter Writing Campaign
- September 5, 2017 - Attorney Rob Billot writes letter to ATSDR re: Request for Coordinated Nationwide PFAS Health Study And Testing And Notice of Intent to Sue | Letter
- September 6, 2017 - Pediatric Cancer Cluster Task Force. TFP leaders advocate for medical monitoring | Article | Video
- September 18, 2017 - The 2018 National Defense Authorization Act that passed the U.S. Senate | Article
- September 20, 2017 - TFP Andrea Amico interviews with Veterans Radio | Radio Interview
- September 25, 2017 - Members from TFP met with NH DHHS to discuss the community's need for medical monitoring
- September 25,2017 - Members from TFP presented the Pease community story to UNH Engineering students
- September 26, 2017 - Air Force, NH DES, & EPA meet with Newington Residents to discuss water concerns | Flyer
- August 14, 2017 - NJ DEP to regulate carcinogenic chemicals in drinking water | News Segment
- August 14, 2017 - Testing for Pease is featured in a documentary called Troubled Waters: Military bases' contamination will affect water for generations | Pease Video
- August 15, 2017 - Harvard, University of Rhode Island researchers to study chemical contamination of US waters | Article
- August 20, 2017 - Andrea Amico writes a letter to the editor supporting medical monitoring for the Pease community | Letter
- August 22, 2017 - Testing for Pease is featured on the Center for Public Integrity website: Military bases' contamination will affect water for generations
- August 24, 2017 - NH Delegation Calls for Community Update on Water Contamination | Letter | Press Release
- August 24, 2017 - Multiple state health department leaders send letter to CDC requesting national PFC health study | Letter
- August 28, 2017 - ATSDR Pease CAP meeting at NH DES office on Pease from 6pm to 9pm | Flyer | Agenda | Video Part 1 | Video Part 2 | Transcript
- August 30, 2017 - Congresswoman Carol Shea-Porter visits Pease and Coakley Landfill to discuss contamination issues | Article
- August 31, 2017 - Multiple US Senators send a letter to the Appropriations Committee advocating for funding for national PFC health study | Letter
- July 5, 2017 - TFP sends letter to NH DHHS commissioner requesting Pease PFAS blood samples be saved | Letter
- July 6, 2017 - TFP co founder Andrea Amico is interviewed with NH State Rep Mindi Messmer on Portsmouth Community Radio.
- July 12, 2017 - Deadline for the CAP to submit written comments on the feasibility assessment to ATSDR. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your feedback to share with ATSDR.
- July 21, 2017 - Air Force Press Release: Air Force continues attack on PFOS/PFOA issues at Pease
- July 26, 2017 - Air Force RAB meeting on Pease from 6:30-9pm at Great Bay Community College | Flyer | Agenda | Slides
- July 27, 2017 - House Adopts Shea-Porter Amendment Authorizing $7 Million for PFC Health Study | Press Release
- July 31, 2017 - NH State Reps send letter to NH Congressional Delegation: Request for Assistance with Issues relating to Coakley Landfill Superfund Site and Pease Air Force Base | Letter
- June 6, 2017 - Senator Jeanne Shaheen questions a top Air Force official about funding a Pease health study
- June 6, 2017 - Research paper published stating GAC filters may not be effective treatment for PFASs in drinking water.
- June 14, 2017 - Air Force RAB meeting on Pease | Flyer | Agenda ***MEETING CANCELLED DUE TO CONFLICT WITH PFAS CONFERENCE IN BOSTON***
- June 14 & 15, 2017 - 2 day conference on PFAS conference Highly Fluorinated Compounds – Social and Scientific Discovery | Northeastern University, Boston, MA | Flyer | Presentations/Videos | Speakers BioSchedule | Speakers Bio
- June 22, 2017 - NH DES sends letter to US EPA requesting assistance with testing for PFAS in the state of NH | Letter
- June 23, 2017 - Testing for Pease, in partnership with Northeastern University and Silent Spring Institute, are applying for a grant to conduct a pediatric health study on the immune system of children impacted by PFAS at Pease. Please watch the video and provide us with your feedback
- June 26, 2017 - Testing for Pease members speak at a Mindful Monday event at the Stone Church titled "What’s In Our Seacoast Water & What We Can Do About It?" | Flyer | Agenda
- June 26, 2017 - Pease Annual Water Quality Report for 2016 released by the City of Portsmouth | Press Release | Report
- June 28, 2017 - US Senator Jeanne Shaheen sponsors an amendment in the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), to authorize funding for a national health study on PFCs | Press Release | Article
- May 23, 2017 - ATSDR released the full version and a revised short version of the draft feasibility assessment for Pease.
- May 25, 2017 - City of Portsmouth releases a Pease Tradeport Water Supply Update
- May 30, 2017 - ATSDR in person CAP meeting at NH DES office on Pease | Flyer | Agenda | Video
- May 30, 2017 - Andrea Amico's response to the Air Force saying they won't fund health studies at Pease | Video
- April 1, 2017 - TFP is featured in an article of Scientific American: Don't Drink The Water | Article
- April 7, 2017 - Testing for Pease founder Andrea Amico writes a letter to the editor thanking NH elected officials for advocating on behalf of the Pease community.
- April 14, 2017 - NH State Representative Peter Somssich writes letter to ATSDR requesting feasibility assessment be released.
- April 20, 2017 - ATSDR releases a letter to the Pease CAP and a short version of the Pease feasibility assessment.
- March 4, 2017 - The Associated Press runs a story about Testing for Pease and The Air Force Times also publishes the story
- March 13, 2017 - NH DES writes memo citing health effects from PFCs | Health Effects Summary for the perfluoroalkyl substances
perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and perfluorosulfonic acid (PFOS)
- March 21, 2017 - City of Portsmouth releases Pease Tradeport Water Supply Update
- March 22, 2017 - Air Force RAB meeting on Pease | Flyer | Agenda
- March 22, 2017 - City of Portsmouth and consultants from Weston & Sampson provide an update on the granulated activated carbon (GAC) filters at Pease | Slides
- March 22, 2017 - Seacoast Online covers the RAB meeting | Officials disagree on Pease well remediation efforts
- March 23, 2017 - WCSH 6 in Portland, Maine covers the RAB meeting in a news video | New plant helps to remove chemicals from water at Pease
- March 23, 2017 - Seacoast Online article | DES Official warns of PFC health threat
- March 24, 2017 - CAP members send letter to Senators Shaheen and Hassan, and Congresswomen Shea-Porter and Kuster asking for their assistance in requesting the release of the feasibility assessment | View letter
- March 28, 2017 - ***MEETING CANCELLED*** ATSDR Pease CAP meeting on Pease | Agenda |
- March 28, 2017 - New Hampshire Delegation sends a letter to ATSDR requesting the expeditious release of the Pease feasibility assessment | View Letter
- March 28, 2017 - Seacoast Online article covers the Delegation letter to ATSDR | Delegation presses federal agency for federal health study
- March 28, 2017 - State Rep. Mindi Messmer, along with multiple State Representatives and NH Senator Martha Fuller Clark sends a letter to ATSDR regarding the delay of the Pease feasibility assessment | View Letter
- February 3, 2017 - City of Portsmouth issues a press release with an update on the treatment of Pease wells
- February 7, 2017 - ***CANCELLED DUE TO SNOW*** ATSDR Pease CAP meeting on Pease | Flyer | Agenda
- February 8, 2017 - NH Legislative Hearings for proposed bills HB 484 & HB 511 in Concord, NH
- February 11, 2017 - NH Safe Water Alliance Members speak at RiverRun Bookstore in Portsmouth, NH about water contamination in our seacoast communities
- February 13, 2017 - DuPont to pay $670 million to settle C8 lawsuits
- February 22, 2017 - Representative Mindi Messmer's bills (HB 485 and HB 431) pass the Resources, Recreation, and Development Committee. Votes = 18-1 to support HB 485 and 19-0 to support HB 431. | Article
- February 28, 2017 - Representative Mindi Messmer's bills (HB 484 and HB 511) unanimously pass the Health and Human Services Committee with a vote of 21-0 | Article
- January 1, 2017 - Testing for Pease sends a letter to Governor Maggie Hassan thanking her for her support and congratulating her on being elected as a U.S. Senator.
- January 5, 2017 – Testing for Pease meets with the Greenland Safe Water Action, State Representative Mindi Messmer, State Representative Renny Cushing and other community members to collaborate and form the New Hampshire Safe Water Alliance
- January 9, 2017 - Testing for Pease sends a letter to Governor Christopher Sununu congratulating him on being elected Governor of New Hampshire and provides an introduction and background on the Pease water contamination.
- January 9, 2017 - City of Portsmouth Deputy DPW Director gives update to ATSDR Pease CAP via conference call | slideshow
January 9, 2017 – The bills that State Representative Messmer filed are available for public viewing:
- HB485. This bill requires the Department of Environmental Services to use exposure scenarios in children and other vulnerable populations (most conservative approach) to determine criteria for emerging contaminants in drinking water;
- HB511. This bill would establish a commission to study creating a public health oversight program within the Department of Health and Human Services;
- HB484. This bill would establish a commission on the seacoast cancer cluster investigation;
- HB431. This bill would establish a commission to study long term goals and requirements for drinking water in the seacoast area.
- January 19, 2017 - New England & New Hampshire Water Works Meeting on Pease. NH DES gives an update on state wide efforts surrounding PFCs | Slideshow | Article
- January 24, 2017 - NH Legislative Hearings for proposed bills HB 485 & HB 431 | Hearing Notice
- December 5, 2016 - Testing for Pease presents a brief update of the community accomplishments of 2016 and future action items to the Portsmouth City Council | slideshow | video
- December 5, 2016 - Brian Goetz (Deputy DPW director for City of Portsmouth) presents an update on the Pease water treatment system to the Portsmouth city council | slideshow | video
- December 19, 2016 - Testing for Pease advocates to the Portsmouth City Council for the municipal water to be provided to Greenland Residents | Letter | Video
- December 22, 2016 – Announcement in Seacoast Online that State Representative Mindi Messmer has filed water protection bills. Read Article.
- December 23, 2016 - Testing for Pease sends a letter to U.S. Senator Kelly Ayotte thanking her for her support.
- November 1, 2016 - Air Force announces plan to install two groundwater treatment systems at Pease | Press Release
- November 14, 2016 - The Conservation Law Foundation files a $110 million dollar lawsuit in federal court alleging stormwater runoff from the Pease Development Authority is polluting area waterways | Article
- November 16, 2016 - US EPA issues new documents on "Supporting Documents for Drinking Water Health Advisories for PFOA and PFOS"
- November 28, 2016 - Former City Councilor Stefany Shaheen writes a letter to Governor-elect, Chris Sununu, to establish a statewide commission on water safety | Article
- November 28, 2016 – Testing for Pease meets with Senator Martha Fuller Clark, newly elected State Representative Mindi Messmer, and CAP member and Portsmouth resident Lindsey Carmichael regarding legislation that State Representative Messmer plans to file.
- October 3, 2016 - Testing for Pease members present the PFC water contamination from a community perspective to UNH engineering students.
- October 5, 2016 - Air Force hosts a RAB meeting on Pease | Agenda | Slides
- October 23, 2016 - Article in the Gazette on the US Air Force conducting their own health studies on AFFF: TOXIC LEGACY: Air Force studies dating back decades show danger of foam that contaminated local water
- September 6, 2016 - ATSDR Pease CAP meeting on Pease. Flyer | Agenda | Video
- September 7, 2016 - Pease water issues are featured in a Newsweek Article: Firefighting Chemicals Are Contaminating the Water of 16.5 million people.
- September 7, 2016 - TFP members and environmental epidemiologist Courtney Carignan write a letter to the RAB co-chair re: short chain PFCs at Pease.
- September 8, 2016 - City of Portsmouth releases Treatment Plan for Pease Tradeport Water Supply
- September 12, 2016 - New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection has published a recommendation from the state Drinking Water Quality Institute for PFOA of 14 ppt | Article
- September 23, 2016 - City of Portsmouth announces upgraded water filtration at Pease Tradeport | Press Release | Article
- August 3, 2016 - EPA responds to NH DES letter re: other PFCs. Letter (PDF)
- August 4, 2016 - Testing for Pease members and Portsmouth City Councilor Nancy Pearson meet with NH DHHS officials to discuss the letter sent on July 5, 2016
- August 10, 2016 - NH DES hosts a public comment session on their rule making process for adopting the new federal guidelines for PFOS and PFOA at the NH DES office on Pease at 6:00 pm. NH DES notice. NH DES Slides.
- August 24, 2016 - ATSDR release guidelines for healthcare professionals: An Overview of Perfluoroalkyl and Polyfluoroalkyl
Substances and Interim Guidance for Clinicians Responding to Patient Exposure Concerns
- July 5, 2016 - Testing for Pease members and Portsmouth City Councilor Nancy Pearson send a letter to NH DHHS Deputy Commissioner Marilee Nihan with recommendations from the Pease community on next steps. Letter (PDF)
- July 13, 2016 - NH DHHS re-opens PFC blood testing to the community. Register online.
- July 14, 2016 - Air Force hosts RAB meeting that includes a Pease bus tour of various clean up sites. RAB Tour Guide (PDF) | WCSH6 News Coverage of Tour
- July 18, 2016 - US Senator Kelly Ayotte writes to the Dr. Thomas R. Frieden (Director, Center For Disease Control and Prevention) requesting that the CDC engage the residents of PFC impacted communities and public officials and to take an active role to study the long term effects of exposure to PFCs (PFOS, PFOA, PFHxS and other PFCs) Letter (PDF)
- June 16, 2016 - NH DHHS Pease Blood Test Results meeting. Slideshow | Final Report.
- June 16, 2016 - NH DHHS Deputy Commissioner announces that PFC blood testing for Pease community will re-open in "mid July". To sign up, contact NH DHHS by phone at (603) 271-9461 or email email@example.com
- June 20, 2016 - NH DES sends letter to US EPA asking for more answers and information on PFCs that do not have EPA PHAs/recommendations| Letter
- June 22, 2016 - Air Force announces they will offer a Pease RAB tour on Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 10:00 am open to the public | Event Flyer (PDF)
- June 30, 2016 - Elevated PFCs detected at Coakley Landfill as high as 1,108 ppt. Read article.
- May 3, 2016 - First Pease CAP meeting with ATSDR. Meeting Minutes.
- May 5, 2016 - Testing for Pease meets with Governor Maggie Hassan in Concord, NH. Watch the WMUR news report. Read the Portsmouth Herald article.
- May 11, 2016 - Brown University releases a study that high levels of PFOA in women are associated with decreased breastfeeding duration. As exposure to chemical rises, so does risk of ending breastfeeding early.
- May 16, 2016 - Senator Kelly Ayotte sends another letter to the EPA urging them to expedite their release of a long term health advisory for PFOA| Letter (PDF).
- May 17, 2016 - Testing for Pease meeting "How to Interpret Your PFC Blood Test Results" Flyer (PDF) | Slideshow (PDF) | Handout (PDF)
- May 19, 2016 - EPA releases new drinking water standards for PFOS & PFOA to 70 parts per trillion.
- May 23, 2016 - Testing for Pease sends follow up letter to Governor Maggie Hassan.
- May 24, 2016 - Governor Maggie Hassan's response to Testing for Pease's letter sent on May 23, 2016.
- May 25, 2016 - Hassan pledges to expand Pease blood testing. Please call (603) 271-9461 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up!
- April 8, 2016 - City of Portsmouth and Air Force strike a water treatment deal and filters for the Smith & Harrison well expected to be operational within 6 months. Read the press release and Portsmouth Herald Article.
- April 11, 2016 - NH DHHS weekly update reports that "all results for the Pease Testing Program have now been mailed back to participants".
- April 12, 2016 - Testing for Pease sends letter to government officials asking for more action in the state of NH to protect public health in the setting of PFC water contamination.
- April 12, 2016 - Senator Jeanne Shaheen speaks with the EPA re: setting a new standard for PFOA soon.
- April 13, 2016 - Testing for Pease launches a petition to the EPA and other government officials asking for non detect levels of PFCs as the new standard for drinking water.
- April 14, 2016 - Senator Jeanne Shaheen's staff responds to Testing for Pease's letter sent to government officials asking for more action in NH.
- April 19, 2016 - Air Force hosts first RAB meeting on Pease. Slideshow (PDF)
- April 19, 2016 - Senator Kelly Ayotte responds to Testing for Pease's letter sent to government officials asking for more action in NH.
- April 22, 2016 - Governor Maggie Hassan's response letter to Testing for Pease's letter sent to government officials on April 12, 2016.
- April 25, 2016 - Environmental Working Group writes a letter to EPA administrator Gina McCarthy on EPA’s Efforts to Protect the Public from Widespread PFOA Contamination
- March 3, 2016 - Senator Kelly Ayotte Questions Secretary of the Air Force on Haven Well clean up.
- March 4, 2016 - PFOA identified in Merrimack, NH. NH DES press release.
- March 10, 2016 - Governors from 3 states (NY, NH, & VT) write a letter to the Commisioner of the EPA advocating for action on PFOA by the EPA | Read the Letter (PDF)
- March 12, 2016 - Brian Goetz, City of Portsmouth Deputy DPW Director, presents summary of Haven well at Portsmouth City Council retreat.
- March 13, 2016 - Testing for Pease members present at the Toxic Action Center Local Environmental conference at Northeastern University in Boston, MA. | Video
- March 15, 2016 - NH DHHS hosts a community meeting on the Pediatric Cancer Cluster in Rye
- March 16, 2016 - Air Force hosts their first RAB meeting on Pease.
- March 17, 2016 - ATSDR chooses CAP members.
- March 22, 2016 - Testing for Pease officially launches their website and community group.
- March 23, 2016 - The Sound in Portsmouth covers the launching of Testing for Pease website.
Jan - Feb 2016
The Air Force selects members for their RAB (Restoration Advisory Board) and the first RAB meeting open to the public is TBD. New Portsmouth Mayor Jack Blalock writes a letter to ATSDR recommending 5 former CAB members for the upcoming CAP with ATSDR. ATSDR presents to the Portsmouth City Council on February 16, 2016 and starts recruiting community members for the CAP.
- January 2016 - Air Force selects members for the RAB. First RAB meeting is TBD.
- February 9 , 2016 - Portsmouth Mayor Jack Blalock writes a letter to ATSDR recommending 5 former CAB members for the ATSDR CAP (PDF - letter is on page 6)
- February 16, 2016 - ATSDR presents to Portsmouth City Council on upcoming CAP.
- February 17, 2016 - ATSDR releases their CAP recruitment flyer and a press release on the upcoming CAP. Press Release | CAP Flyer (PDF)
CAB had their final meeting on December 1, 2015 as their work under the current city mayor and leadership came to an end. The CAB made recommendations that a CAP (community assistance panel) with ATSDR form in the near future to continue the work of the CAB to focus on long term health effects. The CAB chairman presented a summary of the CAB’s work and recommendations to the outgoing mayor and city council at the end of December.
- December 1, 2015 - CAB final meeting to summarize the CAB’s work and discuss recommendations for the future mayor and city council. Meeting Minutes (PDF)
- December 14, 2015 - US Air Force sends letters to former military and civilian members stationed on Pease between 1990 and 2014 informing them of the PFC contamination. Air Force letter (PDF)
- December 21, 2015 - CAB chairman presents summary and recommendations to outgoing city of Portsmouth Mayor and City Council. CAB Final Report (PDF)
Sep - Nov 2015
The state presented the results of the pediatric blood test results from the first round of testing to the community on September 9, 2015. The CAB met with the federal agency ATSDR (Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry) to discuss possible ongoing health studies on the Pease community.
- September 9, 2015 - CAB meeting with NH DHHS - Dr Benjamin Chan discusses the aggregate pediatric blood test results for the first round of testing. Dr Chan PowerPoint Presentation (PDF)
- September 25, 2015 - The Air Force agrees to treat ALL three wells on Pease. Read More
- September 29, 2015 - CAB meeting to discuss the Air Force and the pediatric blood test results meeting. Meeting Minutes (PDF)
- October 14, 2015 - CAB meeting with ATSDR (Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry) to discuss long term health studies in the Pease community. ATSDR PowerPoint Presentation (PDF)
- October 2016 - Second round of blood testing provided by NH DHHS closes. 1107 community members give blood samples in the second round of testing.
- November 3, 2015 - CAB meeting with conference call with ATSDR and to discuss the future of the CAB. Meeting Minutes (PDF)
- November 17, 2015 - CAB meeting to discuss follow up on the CAB’s questions submitted to ATSDR and the future of the CAB. Meeting Minutes (PDF)
- November 2015 - US Air Force starts recruitment for Restoration Advisory Board. RAB Application (PDF)
Jul - Aug 2015
The EPA ordered the Air Force to treat the Haven well on Pease for PFCs and to design a contingency treatment plan for the Smith and Harrison wells on Pease. CAB meeting occurred on July 15, 2015 with an Environmental Pediatrician from Boston’s Children Hospital to discuss what is known about PFC contamination and children. There were ongoing discussions and advocacy for the state to open a second round of testing given the heightened community interest in getting their blood tested. The CAB met with the US Air Force on August 26, 2015 to discuss the treatment and clean up of the contaminated wells on Pease Tradeport.
- July 8, 2015 - US EPA issues order on the US Air Force | Order
- July 10, 2015 - The EPA orders the US Air Force to treat the Haven well and the design a contingency treatment plan for the Smith and Harrison wells on Pease. Read More
- July 15, 2015 - CAB meeting with Environmental Pediatrician from Boston Children’s Hospital (Dr Alan Woolf). PowerPoint Presentation (PDF)
- July 28, 2015 - CAB meeting to discuss pediatric aggregate test results and additional testing. Meeting Minutes (PDF)
- August 12, 2015 - CAB meeting to discuss second round of testing and pediatric blood test results. Meeting Minutes (PDF)
- August 26, 2015 - CAB meeting with US Air Force re: PFC contamination. US Air Force only agreeing to treat the Haven Well as ordered by the US EPA. US Air Force PowerPoint Presentation (PDF)
- August 2015 - NH DHHS opens second round of blood testing to the Pease community for anyone that missed the deadline for the first round of testing.
Apr - Jun 2015
The state released their blood testing protocol on their website and the Governor of NH, Maggie Hassan, expanded the blood testing protocol to include ALL community members exposed to contaminated Pease well water prior to May 2014 (when the Haven well was shut down). Portsmouth Mayor, Robert Lister, formed a Community Advisory Board (CAB) to better enhance the relationship and communication between the state and community. The CAB had their first meeting on May 6, 2015. Multiple CAB meetings occurred in June. The first round of blood testing ended on June 12, 2015. The state presented the first round of 98 adults blood test results to the community on June 17, 2015 and the results of the Pease community are elevated when compared to national averages.
- April 2, 2015 - State releases blood testing protocol and agrees to test anyone exposed to contaminated water on Pease prior to May 2014. Protocol was revised in June 2015 (PDF).
- April 2015 - community members start giving blood samples in the first round of blood testing.
- April 6, 2015 - NH DHHS starts posting weekly updates on their website for the community.
- April 23, 2015 - Portsmouth Mayor Robert Lister forms the Community Advisory Board (CAB) to assist with communication between the community and the state and represent the diverse voice of the community.
- May 6, 2015 - CAB meets for the first time. Brian Goetz from city of Portsmouth DPW presents Water System Overview. PowerPoint Presentation (PDF)
- May 14, 2015 - CAB meeting with presentation from NH DHHS Public Health Lab & NH DES (Dept of Environmental Services). PowerPoint Presentation with NH DHHS (PDF) | PowerPoint Presentation with NH DES (PDF)
- June 2, 2015 - CAB meeting with NH DES and Epidemiologists on Health Effects & PFCs. NH DES PowerPoint Presentation (PDF)
- June 12, 2015 - first round of blood testing ends.
- June 17, 2015 - NH DHHS Dr Benjamin Chan presents to the community the first 98 adult blood test results in first round of testing. DHHS Summary (PDF) | DHHS Presentation (PDF) .
A representative from NH DHHS presented to the Portsmouth city council on March 16, 2015 and stated the blood testing protocol has been approved and the state plans to test 100 community members starting in April. The city council and community was not pleased with this limited number. The state hosted a community meeting at the end of March with excellent community attendance. The community expressed their frustrations with the lack of communication and community involvement in the planning process.
- March 16, 2015 - Rick Cricenti from NH DHHS presents to the Portsmouth City Council giving update on status of testing and informs city council state plans to test 100 community members.
- March 17, 2015 - Air Force tests water at Pease daycare from tap with and without Brita filter. Results reported on April 16, 2015 reveal Brita faucet filter makes low level PFCs non detect!
- March 18, 2015 - Senator Jeanne Shaheen asks the U.S. Air Force to assist with the costs of testing for Pease at a meeting in Washington.
- March 23, 2015 - NH DHHS sends letters to all the businesses on Pease informing them of the blood testing program. Letter is on page 6 of the state’s blood testing protocol (PDF)
- March 31, 2015 - NH DHHS hosts a community meeting to discuss blood testing program. Part 1 | Part 2
Dec 2014 - Jan 2015
Frustrated with a lack of response on the city, state, and federal level, Andrea Amico called the Portsmouth Herald to see if they will run a story about the lack of action and follow through by the state on the blood testing protocol. The Portsmouth Herald returned her call and wrote a front page newspaper story about her frustrations. The newspaper article gained the attention of the community and city & state officials finally started to take action. Andrea Amico started an online petition to advocate for a blood testing protocol and a Testing for Pease Facebook page to keep the community up to date on the status of blood testing.
- January 12, 2015 - Andrea Amico speaks with reporter Jeff McMenemy at the Portsmouth Herald regarding her frustrations and lack of response from the state re: blood testing for her family.
- January 15, 2015 - Article runs on Portsmouth Herald front page detailing Andrea Amico’s frustration.
- January 20, 2015 - Andrea Amico starts the Testing for Pease facebook page to keep the community informed on the happenings at Pease surrounding the well contamination.
- January 20, 2015 - Andrea Amico initiates an online petition to the Air Force, State of NH, and City of Portsmouth - Provide testing for the people of Pease exposed to contaminated well water. The petition was signed by 270 people.
- January 21, 2015 - NH Governor Maggie Hassan writes a letter to Dr Patrick Breysee with federal agency ATSDR (Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry) urging him to approve the state’s blood testing protocol. Read Correspondence (PDF)
- January 23, 2015 - City of Portsmouth Mayor Robert Lister sends a letter to Governor Hassan expressing dissatisfaction with the time it has taken for DHHS to develop a plan and asks for a detailed timeline on the status of blood testing to be given to the city.
- January 23, 2015 - US Senator Jeanne Shaheen writes a letter to the CDC advocating that the NH DHHS blood testing protocol be reviewed expeditiously.
Aug - Nov 2014
Andrea Amico continued to attempt communication with the state to check in for updates on the status of blood testing for her family. The state stopped returning her emails and phone calls in October 2014. The Air Force agrees to pay the city of Portsmouth $154,000 to look for a new well/water source.
- October 4, 2014 - Air Force agrees to pay the city of Portsmouth $154,000 to look for a new well/water source now that Haven Well is no longer on line due to PFC contamination. Read More
Jun - Jul 2014
Andrea Amico continued to communicate with NH DHHS via email and phone about blood testing for her family. The state responded that they are working on developing criteria for the blood testing process. Andrea Amico reached out via email to several government officials (city, state, and federal) asking for assistance in urging the state to push the blood testing process along.
Apr - May 2014
The Pease wells are tested for the first time for different kinds of PFCs in the water (some that are labeled a contaminant of emerging concern) in April 2014. The results came back positive in all three wells on Pease (Haven, Smith, & Harrison), but the Haven well was shut down immediately due to PFC (PFOS) level greater than the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) PHA (provisional health advisory). There was a newspaper article in May 2014 to inform the community of the contamination and a community meeting at the end of May 2014 to answer community questions and concerns. At the community meeting, the NH DHHS (Department of Health and Human Services) did not recommend blood testing for the community. Community member, Andrea Amico, met an employee of NH DHHS at the end of the community meeting and asked for blood testing for her family. She started contacting the state/NH DHHS via email to pursue blood testing at the end of May.
- April 2014 - Pease wells tested for PFCs for the first time. Water Test Results (PDF)
- May 12, 2014 - PFC contamination identified and Haven Well immediately shut down. PFCs also identified in Smith & Harrison wells on Pease, but below the EPA PHA (provisional health advisory). Read More
- May 28, 2014 - Public Meeting to discuss health effects. Blood testing not recommended per Dr Elizabeth Talbot with NH DHHS. Read More
- May 28, 2014 - Portsmouth resident, Andrea Amico, attends the community meeting and questions state officials about how to get blood testing for her family (husband and children on Pease daily and exposed to contaminated water) in place. She starts emailing NH DHHS official at end of May to pursue blood testing.